I read "For adult eyes only" by weekly ST Essay online.
a. The words I did not know.
1)ruminate
Sentence:
As my son grows up, I've been ruminating on what becoming an adult really means these days.
Definition:
to think carefully and deeply about something
Synonyms:
think about, contemplate, consider,
2)recently
Sentence:
Though I've legally been an adult for decades, it seems to me that only recently have I begun to give the term serious thought.
Definition:
not long ago
Synonyms:
lately, of late, a short time ago,
3)coincide
Sentence:
Coming of age ceremonies usually coincided with the physical maturity to reproduce, as early as 11 or 12.
Definition:
to happen at the same time as something else, especially by chance
Synonyms:
occur simultaneously, happen together, happen at the same time; tally, correspond, agree, accord, concur, match, fit;
4)ironically
Sentence:
Ironically, in our day and age, if 12-year-olds so much as whisper about sex, they are treated as juvenile delinquents.
Definition:
used when talking about a situation in which the opposite of what you expected happens or is true:
used in reference to a paradoxical, unexpected, or coincidental situation
Synonyms:
in irony, sarcastically,
5)tacitly
Sentence:
It is tacitly understood that an adult will act in a manner that demonstrates foresight, consideration and social responsibility, though I know some 10-year-olds who behave this way, and some 50-plus folk who are still learning the ropes.
Definition:
tacit agreement, approval, support etc is given without anything actually being said:
Synonyms:
in a roundabout way, by implication, (?)
6)chronological years
Sentence:
Becoming an adult in the deeper sense seems to me to be a long process, one that cannot be achieved by wearing ceremonial costumes, by smoking and driving, or by counting chronological years.
Definition:
a person's chronological age is how old they actually are, rather than how old their mind or body seems
Synonyms:
chronological age
c. Comments about the essay.
I think that to be an adult is to be who can decide what I want to do.
Adults are freedom.
Some of adults say that "Adults have many things what we must do."
But I think it is not right.
If they do what they really don't want to do, they do not decide what they do.
Maybe, they do what somebody decides.
Or they don't realize why they do that.
"The creative adult is the child that has survived." is good words.
But I think it means that adults underestimate about children.
Why do we forget what we were thinking while we were children?
We had realized what we wanted to do and had done it then.
The words might be born in jealousy.
このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。
返信削除Good. I think this is the first essay I am reading of yours this semester. You have done very good work but I would like to post more often . . . even if your posts are shorter.
返信削除As I think I said in class, I recommend that you post versions of what you write on Lang-8 -- just be sure to make sure that people who don't know about this class can understand what you write.
I'm sorry.
返信削除I have only four posts in this semester.
I will try to read English and post more often.
Thanks! As I wrote above, you are doing very good work!
返信削除