a.Words or expressions I did not know.
1.kernel
Context:
Small golden popcorn kernels which were 5,000 years old were found in New Mexico.
Definition:
the part of a nut or seed inside the shell or the part inside the stone of some fruits
one of the small yellow pieces on a corn
=穀物
2.heat
Context:
Scientists heated some of these kernels, and ... they popped!
Definition:
warmth or the quality of being hot
=加熱する
3. Aztecs
Context:
Another man named Cortez discovered that the Aztecs not only ate popcorn but also wore it in their hair.
Definition:
a member of the American Indian people dominant in Mexico before the Spanish conquest of the 16th century
=アステカ族
4.wore
Context:
Another man named Cortez discovered that the Aztecs not only ate popcorn but also wore it in their hair.
Definition:
the past tense of wear
=着るの過去形
5.wonder
Context:
While you're eating your popcorn, have you ever wondered why it pops?
Definition:
to think about something that you are not sure about and try to guess what is true, what will happen etc
=不思議に思う
This time, I have no questions. So I write (b)a summary and (c)comments.
b.A summary.
Popcorn is not a new food, but we have known it in America for a very long time. Popcorn kernels which were 5,000 years old were found in New Mexico and kernels over 1,000 years old were found in Peru, too. Those kernels were mixid with jewels, golds, and other beautiful things.
Columbus were given popcorn decorations to put on his uniform by the native. Cortez discovered that the Aztecs not only ate popcorn but also wore it in their hair. And in Britain during Queen Victoria's time, people used popcorn as decorations on Christmas trees.
The native Americans wondered why popcorn pops. And their answer was that there was a devil in each kernel and the devil got hot and angry when the kernel was heated, and at last he popped.
In fact, there is a little water in the kernel and it changes to steam when it is heated, and the steam suddenly breaks the hard cover of the kernel and turns the whole tings inside out. The popcorn that grows to the largest size as 40 times its original size is called butterfly popcorn.
c.Comments
I didn't know that popcorn is old food. And I was surprised that popcorn was used for decorations. I thought maybe ancient people who lived in nature saw popcorn such as very beautiful things more than which people of today see. It is very happy and wonderful. The ancient landscape was so colorful and brilliantly for ancient people, looks like the modern view for us. People who live in what age improvemented to live in the view loved by each of them. That's so great, I think.
Would you correct my English?
If you will do so, I'm so happy.
使用教材:『速読英単語(入門編)/Z会出版社』———「ポップコーン(1)(2)」
Very good work. I would say that 殻 is probably the best translation for "kernel." You should also include the date of the book that you read. Let's talk about how I can correct you English when you come to class next. It's difficult to do this on your blog.
返信削除コメントありがとうございます。
返信削除度々欠席してしまい、申し訳ありません。
欠席理由は体調不良によるもので、決して講義に興味が無いからではありません。
一昨年から通院し、体調管理に努めておりますが、まだ毎日登校することができないのが現状です。
しかし、受講する意欲はありますので、今後もご指導宜しくお願い致します。
Thank you. I hope you are feeling better now. If you cannot come to class we can work something out.
返信削除このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。
返信削除By the way, I just noticed that I made a mistake in my first comment. I wrote "Let's talk about how I can correct you English when you come to class next." I should have written "Let's talk about how I can correct your English when you come to class next." Sorry.
返信削除