I read "Pope attacked at Christmas service" by weekly ST World News online.
a. The words I did not know.
1)attacked
Sentence:
Pope attacked at Christmas service
Definition:
to deliberately use violence to hurt a person or damage a place:
Synonyms:
bruise, touch; hit; offense;
Comment:
I think this title should be "Pope was attacked at Christmas service". Is my thinking wrong?
2)Mass
Sentence:
A woman jumped the barriers in St. Peter's Basilica and knocked down Pope Benedict XVI at the start of Christmas Eve Mass, but the 82-year-old pontiff was unhurt and proceeded as planned with the service.
Definition:
the celebration of the Christian Eucharist, especially in the Roman Catholic Church
Synonyms:
Mass is "missa" in Latin
c. Comments about the news.
The reason of I pick up this news are three. First is "Pope" interest me. Second is my misunderstanding which I thought this was a kind of riot. Last is wrongly written character in Japanese. The last of the news page, there are Japanese title and one sentence. I found the mistake with title, then I thought "Is this site OK?" This is just joke.
I am an atheist, I don't have faith, so maybe I am charmed by religious things. I think that my this feeling resemble that Japanese people long for the West or a part of people who like the mysteries of the Orient.
I can't understand thinking of faith. I want to know what unshaken faith is. Pope is just a human for me, but he is the nearest human to God for many people. Many people are saved just he alive. I am interested in the power of faith.
このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。
返信削除Thanks! The mistake in Japanese is surprising. I wonder why they still have not fixed it.
返信削除I understand your interest in the power of faith. I have trouble understanding it too.
Thank you for understanding my comment.
返信削除I'm grad.
I think that it is very hard work for you because my English is so bad.
このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。
返信削除Your English is quite good so it is easy for me to understand what you have written.
返信削除